So I just may of figured out something.
Over the years we have collected a number of domains that we have used in conjunction with our business. We have used housingcredits.com, nationalcompliancepro.com, housingcreditcollege.com and taxcredit.com. About 10 years ago we decided that it made more sense to maintain a single site so we just used domain aliases to send all the http requests to one server. So over time we’ve lost track of what domain our customers use to find our site.
So today, I find myself in the middle of our latest round of web redesign and am again curious about the url our customers are using. Our new host recommends we use a service like cloudflare for our dns and I was browsing through the analytics provided by that service, and I saw an option to set up google analytics from inside the Cloudflare Apps. And I set it up for taxcredit.com. And it has started reporting. I used the old tracking code for taxcredit.com from when it was a stand alone site. Bear in mind that taxcredit.com is served as an alias of a different site, which of course has its own google analytics tracking code. So in a couple of days, I’ll be able to tell if it is splitting out the data from this one domain. Of course there are a myriad of other possibilities.
Leave a Reply